Play play & more play

 How do the readings this week change your ideas about PLAY? What resonates with you from these texts?

After doing the readings and reviewing some of my classmates blogs, I really enjoyed this discussion of play.

"Play is not disguised learning; play IS learning." This quote really stuck out to me as you commonly see or hear the stigma that revolves around a statement like this. Where some individuals believe learning must be a conformed, highly structured environment. I agree with Henry Jenkins that that is simply not true. This really resonated with me after the past few years of watching or observing my nephew and niece learn and grow. What may work for one in the classroom does not work for the other. Through play my niece learns well through her creative side, my nephew learns well through observation and building. However, they have learned a lot more through many different aspects of their daily play.

Importance of play for babies & children | Raising Children Network

The readings this week have changed my ideas about play through the 6 P's.

1. Permission

2. Process

3. Passion

4. Productivity

5. Participation

6. Pleasure

I had never heard of these six P's prior to this article. However, I wish I had. This is a phenomenal way to explain and direct the series of properties. It's important to understand that children simply playing with others is a huge form of play for learning. It's important for children to socialize with children their own age, to learn sharing, teamwork, rules, learning about others, socialization skills, understanding their own and others emotions, finding new things they enjoy or knowing what activities they don't.

                 Henry Jenkins quote: In a hunting society, children play with bows and  arrows...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tatum & Racism

Pre.. Post.. CARE

Locating yourself, myself, ourselves..